Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Martial Arts Mayhem! and the desert at 80mph

My Iaido dojo in Austin had exams this weekend. The head of our school and a high ranking teacher came all the way from Japan to administer the tests. Since their are a few dojos in the southwest, we all met in one place: El Paso, Texas (8 hours drive from Austin). El Paso is a bordertown adjacent to Juarez, Mexico. It's really beautiful there, surrounded by mountains and desert looking scrub. I wish we could've crossed into Juarez, but due to the drug war and recent kidnappings it seemed like a dumb idea.
Here's me, either starting or finishing my exam. I was so nervous it's all kind of a blur.
These are the Austin guys. We all did very well on our exams.
Alex and Matt practicing
Dinner after testing. We're all pretty beat...


Everything green had spikes.
Seriously.....
Rest stop, greatest hits cover.
More spikes
and rocks...


This mural was at one of our lunch stops on the road, it was a place in Van Horn Texas. My friend Alex wanted me to write that this was the worst Mexican restaurant ever.- and that the mural might depict Jesus climbing the mountains shooting laserbeams from his hands trying to destroy the place.
On our return trip I saw this family of Javelina hanging out on an access road, so cool. I also saw a roadrunner relaxing on a fence but the car was too fast to get a pic.


I only took this pic because it's the second time Luar's eaten McDonalds in like ten years, the first time was the night before. I plan on blackmailing him with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment